Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Victoria Throp for Coeliac Awareness week in Australia.
- 300 g gluten-free flour or 300 g rice flour (1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 50 g sugar (¼ cup)
- 125 ml canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (baby works well)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed peel
- 2 tablespoons diced dried apricots or 2 tablespoons dried peaches
- 2 tablespoons currants or 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 2 tablespoons diced glace fruit (peach, apple, pear, pineapple)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine rice flour mix, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, mixed spice, xanthan gum and sugar.
- Add canola oil, eggs, applesauce and vanilla, stirring just until combined.
- Lightly fold in peel, currants or sultanas and chopped fruit.
- Spoon into 12-hole muffin pan either greased or lined with muffin papers.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until starting to brown and are firm to the touch when pressed.
- Makes 10 to 12 muffins.
- Note: * GlutenFree Flour Mix- in a container with a lid, combine 2 cups white rice flour, 2/3 cup potato flour and 1/3 cup arrowroot.
- This quantity makes 3 cups.
- Note: ** or use ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg or mace and 1/8 teaspoon cloves.
- Notes: Xanthan gum can be purchased from the health food section of selected supermarkets and many health food stores.
- Xanthan gum stops crumbling in baked goods.
- Disposable foil muffin liners work better than paper ones.
- Arrowroot can be purchased from any supermarket.
- Potato flour can be purchased from the health food section of selected supermarkets and health food stores.
Quite a bit of preparation before baking, but well worth the effort. I had 44 women at home for Pink Breakfast, and had to fight to keep some of these muffins for the coeliac guests! I adapted the fruit content, so it was not really "Hot Cross" muffins, but "Fruit Muffins" - very tasty, and moist.