Prep 2 hrs
Cook 12 mins
I love making these rolls every Lent. Don't be put off by the preparation time-it takes 90 minutes for the dough to raise! The cranberries make a delicious difference! Try them-I guarantee you'll love them!
- 3 3⁄4-4 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut up
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and yeast in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Combine 3/4 cup milk and butter in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat until very warm (120 to 130°F.). Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture; mix on low speed until blended. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups additional flour by hand until dough forms and pulls away from side of bowl. Stir in cranberries.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 5 to 6 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and roll it around to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet. Punch down dough; divide into 24 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball; place 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. With scissors, snip a cross in top of each roll. Cover; let rise until doubled in size, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F Brush rolls with egg white.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Cool slightly. Combine glaze ingredients in a small mixing bowl, adding enough milk for desired consistency. Using a decorating bag or spoon make a cross on top of each roll with glaze.
I made these yummy buns for Good Friday. I don't like raisins, so these were a delicious alternative. The cranberries gave them a nice kick. My MIL liked them so much, she had one for dessert (passing up ice cream with homemade raspberry sauce). I used the Cream Cheese Crosses Cream Cheese Crosses (icing for Hot Cross Buns) as topping (also delicious).