Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the BEST and EASIEST recipe for hot cross buns. I make a few batches of them every Easter and they never last long.
- Put all ingredients except fruit into bread machine.
- Set for dough.
- Add fruit at signal.
- Lightly oil 9x13 pan.
- When dough is ready, remove and punch down.
- Cut into 18-24 pieces.
- Roll each into a ball.
- Place balls 1/2" apart in pan.
- Cover and rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Cut cross into top with sharp knife.
- Bake 12-15 minutes @ 375.
- Make glaze adding sugar or milk to make consistency to drizzle but not run.
- Let rolls cool slightly and drizzle icing in cuts.
These buns were the best!! The dough turns out the softest baked buns. I followed the ingredients as written. I changed a few things baking them though after looking on the bbc food website. I baked the buns at 475F for 9 minutes. Before baking I made a flour paste from 2 TBS flour and 2 TBS water. Mixed it in a baggie and piped it in the cut crosses. This turned out more authentic to the buns I ate whilst in England. After baking I brush them with sugar glaze. I think this is some of the best homemade bread I have ever made!
Easy, easy, easy! Not to mention great tasting, light and fluffy. I cut mine into 16 as that seemed to fit the 13 x 8 dish perfectly. Unglazed they are great toasted too. Thanks for sharing!
Mmmmmm! We *loved* these! I reduced the butter to 1/4 cup, as someone else had suggested, and put in raisins, currants, and cut up dried apricots. I watched the machine as it was mixing, and did add more flour. Not sure how much more. I cut the crosses in quite deeply, and could see them when they came out of the oven. Will definitely be making these again. Thanks, Oster71.