This is the BEST and EASIEST recipe for hot cross buns. I make a few batches of them every Easter and they never last long.
- 1 egg, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup candied fruit
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Put all ingredients except fruit into bread machine.
- Set for dough.
- Add fruit at signal.
- Lightly oil 9x13 pan.
- When dough is ready, remove and punch down.
- Cut into 18-24 pieces.
- Roll each into a ball.
- Place balls 1/2" apart in pan.
- Cover and rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Cut cross into top with sharp knife.
- Bake 12-15 minutes @ 375.
- Make glaze adding sugar or milk to make consistency to drizzle but not run.
- Let rolls cool slightly and drizzle icing in cuts.