Recipe by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
This recipe was adopted during the Great Adoption of February 2005. The ingredients have been rearranged to allow a better flow of ingredient list.
Top Review by Leominster Lee
This was sooooo easy and really delicious. My boys both asked if I was going to make some more! I did not use as much cloves as the recipe calls for and used a tad more cinnamon. Totally recommend this recipe!
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence or 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 cups water, Warm
- 1⁄4 cup butter, Melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup mixed candied peel
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, lemon rind, salt cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir in warm water and butter, then beaten eggs.
- Using a wooden spoon, vigorously stir dough until smooth and elastic.
- Stir in raisins and candied peel.
- Scrape down sides of bowl, cover with a clean dry towel and stand for 10 minutes.
- Grease 24 medium to large-sized muffin cups and spoon in batter -- no more than 2/3 full.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double, about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until tops are browned.
- Let cool on wire racks until warm, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Combine icing sugar with milk until smooth; place in a piping bag or spoon on top of buns to make crosses.