Shhh don't tell Mom I have posted the secret recipe here. I will be in the doghouse, she doesn't share this with anyone but I feel more people should be trying these. They are the best, far out does my grandma's and my aunts. Mom donates a pan of these for the local 4-H Cake Bingo every Easter. Someone should have kept track over the last 20 some years how much her buns have raised for the club.. Follow Instructions carefully. Time does not include resting rising time.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast (2 pkgs of yeast)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to warm
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 6 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups white flour, Maybe a bit more if needed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix yeast, sugar and scalded cooled down milk and water together and set aside till yeast starts to bubble.
- In mixer mix shortening and sugar together and add one egg at a time mixing in completely before adding another egg. Mix well after last egg.
- Sift 6 cups of flour into separate bowl.
- Mix 3 cups of flour into the yeast mixture, mix till smooth.
- Add Raisins.
- Add shortening, sugar and egg mixture.
- Take one cup of flour and add salt and cinnamon to it and mix it into dough. (To stop the cinnamon from lumping up in the dough).
- Knead in remaining cups of flour till dough is smooth.
- Place in greased bowl and allow to rise until double in size.
- Form buns then using clean scissors snip a cross into the tops of each bun.
- Beat egg yolk and water together and brush over tops of each bun.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
- When cooked and cooled use piping bag and form cross with your favorite white icing.