1/2 Photos of Hot Cross Buns
Shhh don't tell Mom I have posted the secret recipe here. I will be in the doghouse, she doesn't share this with anyone but I feel more people should be trying these. They are the best, far out does my grandma's and my aunts. Mom donates a pan of these for the local 4-H Cake Bingo every Easter. Someone should have kept track over the last 20 some years how much her buns have raised for the club.. Follow Instructions carefully. Time does not include resting rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 teaspoons yeast (2 pkgs of yeast)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to warm
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 6 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups white flour, Maybe a bit more if needed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Mix yeast, sugar and scalded cooled down milk and water together and set aside till yeast starts to bubble.
- 2In mixer mix shortening and sugar together and add one egg at a time mixing in completely before adding another egg. Mix well after last egg.
- 3Sift 6 cups of flour into separate bowl.
- 4Mix 3 cups of flour into the yeast mixture, mix till smooth.
- 5Add Raisins.
- 6Add shortening, sugar and egg mixture.
- 7Take one cup of flour and add salt and cinnamon to it and mix it into dough. (To stop the cinnamon from lumping up in the dough).
- 8Knead in remaining cups of flour till dough is smooth.
- 9Place in greased bowl and allow to rise until double in size.
- 10Form buns then using clean scissors snip a cross into the tops of each bun.
- 11Beat egg yolk and water together and brush over tops of each bun.
- 12Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
- 13When cooked and cooled use piping bag and form cross with your favorite white icing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Cross Buns
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.0
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 31.5 mg
- Sodium 161.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g