1/2 Photos of Hot Cross Buns
1 hr 45 mins
Rhonda O's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14.17 g) package active dry yeast
- 118.29 ml water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 236.59 ml warm milk (, 110 to 115 degrees)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, softened
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 1537.83-1656.13 ml all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 118.29 ml dried currant
- 118.29 ml raisins
GLAZE AND ICING
- 1In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- 2Add milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- 4Stir in the currants, raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 5Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top.
- 7Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 8Punch dough down; shape into 30 balls.
- 9Place on greased baking sheets.
- 10Cut a cross on top of each roll with a sharp knife.
- 11Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 12Beat water and egg yolk; brush over rolls.
- 13Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- 14Cool on wire racks.
- 15For icing, combine sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over rolls.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Cross Buns
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.8
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 39.7 mg
- Sodium 103.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g