Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Much better than the boughton kind!
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Add yeast and 1 teaspoons sugar to 1/2 cup warm water.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Warm milk in saucepan, add 1/2 cup sugar, salt, egg and butter.
- Pour into large bowl, add yeast mixture and stir. Add 5 cups flour, cinnamon and raisins. mix well.
- If dough is very sticky, add 1 more cup flour.
- Knead as for bread dough until smooth.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down, knead briefly and cut into buns.
- Place bun on a cookie sheet and cut a cross in the top of each.
- Let rise unto doubled.
- Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- After they have cooled, put icing in each cross. Icing sugar blended with enough milk to form a paste works well.