Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Hey it is time for the hot cross buns. This recipe is one I created from several and it is easy and delicious.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110 to 115)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 egg, lightly beated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2-3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3 teaspoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, raisins, egg, salt, lemon rind, orange rind, lemon juice, mace, nutmeg and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 portions. (don't pull dough, cut it)Shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 13 inches x 9 in baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled about 45 minutes. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Remove from the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For icing combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a piping consistency. Pipe a cross on top of each bun. Makes 1 dozen.
- (When I take out of oven I immediately brush some icing over top with a pastry brush and when they cool pipe the cross on them).