Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
My father used to always make hot spiced cider at Christmas time, and I loved it - one of my favorite Christmas treats. But, with a combination of apple, orange, and pineapple juices, it was pretty high-carb - and now I am diabetic, so it's a definite no-no. But I have missed it so much, so I started trying to think of a low-carb alternative. This is what I came up with, and it's pretty darn good!! From what I have calculated, the whole pot has less than 60 carbs, so it is pretty guilt-free!! Enjoy!
- 1 quart oceanspray diet cranberry juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (more or less, depending on how tart you like it)
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packetssugar-free hot spiced cider mix
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 -10 whole cloves (again, more or less, depending on taste)
- Put all ingredients in a pot, stir, and bring to a boil. The longer it simmers, the more the spices come out. You may need to add a little more water if it simmers long, as it gets stronger as the water evaporates. You can also heat it in a crockpot.