Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
An easy to make-ahead appetizer for a New Year's Eve get-together. You can use canned, frozen or fresh crab meat.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces canned crabmeat, drained and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 large green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 loaf baguette, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch slices
- 16 small asparagus spears, blanched and cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until light.
- Beat in crab, garlic and green onions until just combined.
- Season with salt, lemon juice and Tabasco sauce; combine well.
- Slice baguette diagonally into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Spread mixture on the baquette slices and set on the baking tray.
- Top each canape with 2 asparagus halves, cut side down.
- Sprinkle canapes with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Arrange on a platter and serve.
- NOTE: To blanch the asparagus, cook in boiling water for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Drain and immediately chill in ice water; drain.
- These canapes can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator, loosely wrapped in plastic wrap.
- Because you will be baking from cold, allow 3 - 4 minutes extra cooking time.
I made these to serve at a get together as stated only I increased the garlic just a little, and used small party pumpernickel bread slices, they were a huge hit Uncle Bill! Thanks you for a great recipe...Kitten:)