Recipe by WeBees
This is a crowd pleaser and a bit more elegant alternative to spinach and artichoke dip. So good on cold fall winter days/nights. Found in Gourmet Entertains.
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half (or 2% for reduced fat version)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces finely grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced drained pickled jalapeno chiles (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3⁄4 lb lump crabmeat, picked over
- pita bread or tortilla chips or baguette, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook artichoke hearts according to package instructions, then drain well and finely chop. Cook bell pepper in 1 tablespoon butter in a small heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in artichokes and transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook roux, stirring, 3 minutes. Add half-and-half in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in artichoke mixture, scallions, 1/3 cup parmesan, lemon juice, jalapenos, salt, and celery salt. Gently stir in crab. Transfer to a buttered 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake dip in on baking sheet until bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- Note, dip can be prepared (unbaked) one day ahead and kept covered and chilled.