Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
adapted from Paleomg.com.
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca starch
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup grade b maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil (plus extra for greasing pan)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
FOR THE MARSHMALLOW CREAM
- 1⁄4 cup raw honey
- 2 egg whites (at room temp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together all the liquid ingredients in a small bowl, then combine with the dry ingredients. Combine well.
- Grease an 8X8” square baking dish with coconut oil and then pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- FOR THE MARSHMALLOW CREAM:.
- While the cake is baking make the marshmallow topping.
- Place the egg whites, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a medium mixing bowl.
- Heat the honey in a small saucepan over medium low heat. The honey should reach 220 degrees Fahrenheit -- use a candy thermometer to determine the temperature, or if you don’t have one, just let it bubble for about 1 minute.
- Mix the egg whites with a hand mixer or stand mixer into stiff peaks.
- SlOWLY add the boiling honey in a light drizzle into the egg whites while still whipping. The whole process should take about 30 seconds.
- Continue to whip the egg whites until they reach room temperature. The mixture should be glossy and dense.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE:.
- Using the same saucepan that had the honey in it, add the chocolate chips and coconut milk inches
- Stir the mixture over medium heat continuously for about 5 minutes or until fully melted and silky.
- Add in the vanilla extract before removing from the heat.
- TO PUT TOGETHER THE CAKES:.
- Cut the warm chocolate cake into small squares and layer in mason jars or mugs.
- Drizzle cake squares with hot chocolate sauce and top with the marshmallow cream. Continue with a second layer in each jar/mug.