Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a family favorite and usually made for breakfast when company is staying overnight. I recommend adding the chili powder and make sure you have all of the spices available you won;t be dissappointed. Originally from the Marlboro Country Cookbook entitled "Towns, Trails, and Special Times".
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup luke-warm water
- 3⁄4 cup luke-warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons optional chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate piece
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl.
- Add milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, salt, eggs, and 3 cups of flour; beat mixutre until smooth. Beat in additional flour as needed until a soft workable dough is formed.
- Place dough onto a floured surface; knead until elastic and smooth not more than 5-7 minutes.
- Place the doiugh in a buttered bowl; turning dough to butter all around. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled; approx 1.5 hours. Punch down; cover and let rest about 5 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; roll into a 16x18 inch rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup softened butter.
- Combine1/2 cup sugar and spices; sprinkle over dough. Sprinkle chocolate pieces over sugar.
- Roll up frimly starting at the 16-inch side. Pinch end to seal. Cut into 8 slices. Place in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan (Optinally you can use a thin piece of monofilament line wrapped around the roll;pull the ends tight to make each cut without compressing the roll).
- Let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes,. Bake in a 375 deg oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Mix together Vanilla Glaze ingredients until smooth.
- While warm spoon vanilla glaze over buns.