Recipe by mountain_mom
This is a family favorite that my dad loves. I came across it in one of my grandma's old recipe books.
- 1 large cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 hot banana peppers, finely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 5 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄8 cup salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop or shred all ingredients.
- Put cabbage in very large pot and boil until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients except vinegar and sugar and boil an additional 30 minutes.
- Drain off about half of the liquid.
- Add vinegar and sugar, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain off 1/3 of the liquid before serving.