Recipe by Alskann
Delicious, decadent, chocolate fix - worth the effort!
Top Review by little_wing
This was easier to make than I thought it would be, thanks to such great instructions. I made in one big dish instead of the ramekins and the 1 hour cook time was exactly perfect. The taste was really nice and fudgey...almost like brownie. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a pizza stone on lower oven rack to ensure even heating.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and then lightly sugar four stoneware ramekins or one 4-cup souffle dish.
- (To easily sugar the dish, cover the top with plastic wrap after putting some sugar in and shake it around until lightly coated.).
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup baking cocoa and 3 tablespoons flour in saucepan.
- Add 3/4 milk, and heat over medium-high heat, STIRRING CONTINUOUSLY,until cocoa mixture starts to bubble. **Very important to stir continuously!**.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks with a whisk; Beat 1/3 of the cocoa mixture into the egg yolks.
- Very slowly stir in the rest of the cocoa mixture. DO NOT DUMP IT IN ALL AT ONCE.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Beat 3 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and salt together with an electric mixer until foamy.
- With beater still going, add 2 tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon at a time until eggs are glossy.
- Continue to beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the cocoa/egg yolk mixture.
- Divide the remaining egg whites into thirds, carefully folding each third in one at a time with a spatula until just mixed. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Pour batter into dishes, place in oven and bake for 1 hour. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING BAKING TIME.
- After 1 hour, if souffles do not look quite done, continue cooking for another 5 -10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately as is, or topped with whipped cream, powered sugar, Gran Marnier, fresh raspberries (or another topping of your choice).