Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
As the cake bakes, the batter separates into 2 layers, a soft pudding on bottom and a cake layer on top.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, from a large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. You'll need a shallow baking dish.
- Microwave butter and chocolate in a small bowl just until melted; stir with a whisk to combine, then stir in yolk until well blended.
- Whisk flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup milk, the butter mixture and vanilla until smooth. Spread batter into an ungreased baking dish.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, remaining 1/3 cup cocoa and the brown sugar in a small bowl with fingers or a fork until blended. Sprinkle over batter.
- Heat remaining 2 cups milk in microwave just until simmering. Slowly pour over mixture in baking dish--Don't Stir.
- BAke 45 minutes. Spoon into dessert bowls. Top each serving with a small scoop of ce cream. Serve immediately or pudding layer will be absorbed by cake layer.
This cake was Great, but I had to guess how much baking powder to use for step 3, as it is not listed in the ingredients.
Delicious, easy to make