As the cake bakes, the batter separates into 2 layers, a soft pudding on bottom and a cake layer on top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, from a large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. You'll need a shallow baking dish.
- 2Microwave butter and chocolate in a small bowl just until melted; stir with a whisk to combine, then stir in yolk until well blended.
- 3Whisk flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup milk, the butter mixture and vanilla until smooth. Spread batter into an ungreased baking dish.
- 4Mix remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, remaining 1/3 cup cocoa and the brown sugar in a small bowl with fingers or a fork until blended. Sprinkle over batter.
- 5Heat remaining 2 cups milk in microwave just until simmering. Slowly pour over mixture in baking dish--Don't Stir.
- 6BAke 45 minutes. Spoon into dessert bowls. Top each serving with a small scoop of ce cream. Serve immediately or pudding layer will be absorbed by cake layer.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake a La Mode
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.5
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 80.7 mg
- Sodium 206.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 51.7 g
- Protein 8.2 g