Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- Mix the dry ingredients for the base in a casserole dish.
- Add the wet ingredients make sure to mix well and keep level.
- Sprinkle the dry sauce ingredients on top then poor the boiling water on top of the dry ingredients.
- Put in microwave for 15 minutes.
This was ok but I really think 15 mins is too long. We have a fairly low wattage microwave and I wish I'd taken it out of the microwave at about 12 mins because it ended up over cooked and a bit too dense for my liking.
With a glass dish, I could see this separating into cake and sauce through the window of the microwave, which was pretty cool. I tried a similar recipe for the conventional oven once that separated into cake and chocolate pudding; this was more cake and a fudgy sauce that were quite good, especially for a microwave dessert. I took it out after 14 minutes, but I think I could have checked it after 12 or 13 when it started to smell cooked. Microwaves vary so much. I think this amount could be a lot more than 4 servings, especially if you serve with ice cream.