Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Easy to make. With unsweetened cocoa (which most people have on hand). Found on the back of Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa.
- Stove Top: Mix cocoa and sugar and set aside (I usually make a large batch of this to keep on hand). Pour milk into a small pan. Add cocoa mixture and stir. Heat, while stirring, until steaming.
- Microwave: Mix cocoa and sugar and set aside. Pour milk into a mug or cup and heat on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir in cocoa mixture.
- I've substituted Xylitol which is good but a little less intense than sugar (it doesn't raise your blood sugar).
- I've also substituted soy milk for milk which was obviously fine.
- I think almond milk would also be great.
To make this mix for holiday gift jars, instead of having to stir into regular milk, I used 1/3c nonfat dry milk in the mix. Just add 8ou hot water. To tweak it a bit, I used only 1T dry cocoa and added 2T nondairy creamer. I multiplied the recipe enough for holiday gift jars. It's pretty good; better than any homemade dry mix recipe I've tasted so far (and I've tasted a few) and easy. Honestly, I don't think there's a really GREAT dry hot cocoa mix recipe out there. Store-bought name-brand instant is perfect, but this is close and makes for nice holiday gifts.
Tastes great and is really easy to make!