Recipe by Oreochic68
Easy to make. With unsweetened cocoa (which most people have on hand). Found on the back of Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa.
Top Review by kkw1516
To make this mix for holiday gift jars, instead of having to stir into regular milk, I used 1/3c nonfat dry milk in the mix. Just add 8ou hot water. To tweak it a bit, I used only 1T dry cocoa and added 2T nondairy creamer. I multiplied the recipe enough for holiday gift jars. It's pretty good; better than any homemade dry mix recipe I've tasted so far (and I've tasted a few) and easy. Honestly, I don't think there's a really GREAT dry hot cocoa mix recipe out there. Store-bought name-brand instant is perfect, but this is close and makes for nice holiday gifts.
Directions See How It's Made
- Stove Top: Mix cocoa and sugar and set aside (I usually make a large batch of this to keep on hand). Pour milk into a small pan. Add cocoa mixture and stir. Heat, while stirring, until steaming.
- Microwave: Mix cocoa and sugar and set aside. Pour milk into a mug or cup and heat on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir in cocoa mixture.
- I've substituted Xylitol which is good but a little less intense than sugar (it doesn't raise your blood sugar).
- I've also substituted soy milk for milk which was obviously fine.
- I think almond milk would also be great.