Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Dunk your hot chocolate cookie in your mug of cocoa for a double hit! The chestnuts were my little homage to the "Italian" side of the family and they add a little bit of buttery texture and mildness compared to the rich cocoa mix, Kahlua and black pepper I tossed in.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot chocolate powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 100 g finely chopped roasted chestnuts (about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream sugar, hot chocolate mix, butter, egg white, vanilla and Kahlua until well blended.
- Add flours, baking powder, allspice, pepper and salt, beating in well.
- By hand, fold in the chestnuts.
- Shape dough into a 12” log and place on a lined cookie sheet. Flatten to 1” thick.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes.
- Cut diagonally into 16 slices.
- Place slices, cut sides down, on the baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes, then flip and bake 5 minutes more.
- Cool completely on wire rack.