Recipe by Chef Dine
I prepared this the day before and served for Christmas morning breakfast. The recipe came from Epicurious. My husband and teenage boys ate this with eyes rolled back "OMG's" escaping their lips every so often... yep, it's that good. VERY Decadent! The Hazelnuts are optional.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for pan)
- 1 loaf French bread or 1 loaf other country-style peasant white bread, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or 6 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips or 6 ounces coarsely chopped milk chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 9 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter your 9x13" baking dish with unsalted butter. Arrange the bread slices in overlapping rows in the dish.
- In a sauce pan, heat the cream, chocolates and vanilla over medium heat, whisking constantly until melted and well incorporated, about 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
- Transfer 1 cup of the chocolate sauce to an airtight container; let cool first then place the lid and chill until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and salt. Whisking constantly, pour in hot chocolate mixture in a slow, steady stream.
- Pour evenly over and between each layer of bread. Use the palms of your clean hands to gently press the slices into the chocolate mixture to cover each slice. It will pop back up, but that's ok.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and chill for at least 2 hours, overnight is best. The bread will have soaked up all the liquid.
- When ready to bake, Place in a preheated 350 degree oven with foil cover on for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- While the dish is cooling, toast the hazelnuts in a small skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until golden-brown and fragrant, 3-5 minutes. ***Hazelnuts are optional in this recipe***.
- Microwave the reserved cup of chocolate sauce in a microwave-safe bowl at at 50% power for 1 minute. Or, in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan simmering with water. Stir until warmed through.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce over french toast slices and sprinkle toasted hazelnuts if using them.