Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Warm up to a mug of hot chocolate.
- 3 ounces best-quality chocolate
- 2 teaspoons hot chocolate powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups ice
- whipped cream, for garnish
- chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt in a small heavy saucepan or in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted.
- Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until blended.
- Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of the milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, place the remaining 1 cup of milk, the chocolate mixture, and the ice.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri.
- Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- NOTE: you can make nice looking shavings by cutting the chocolate with a bread knife.