Recipe by cybernetmame
This is great over rice and a great meal for special guests.
Top Review by Snow White
This recipe won the 1974 National Chicken Cooking Contest (Google it!) with one small variation -- that recipe calls for tomatoes instead of pimientos. I've been making this for 30 years, and it's a "must- have" in my home at least once a month. Make sure to use cornstarch to coat the chicken as called for -- flour just won't make the chicken crisp enough Absolutely delicious!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 -4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, including tops cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, drained and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- With scissors or knife cut chicken into thin strips. Roll in cornstarch, set aside. Heat oil, Add garlic and stir until browned. Discard garlic.
- Add chicken to hot garlic oil and turn until browned. Add mushrooms, chestnuts, onions, celery and cook until tender.
- Add soy sauce and monosodium glutamate until heated.
- Add lettuce and pimentos, toss lightly. Serve with rice.