These flash fried shrimp make a stylish first course - ideal for cooking in a hurry.
Make and share this Hot Chili Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the shrimp
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 red chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 10 ounces raw jumbo shrimp, de-veined and shells removed
- 7⁄8 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 scallions, shredded
- 4 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and leave on one side.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan, and add the vegetable oil. Toss in the chopped garlic, ginger and chilies, and stir fry for about 30 seconds, until the chilies have darkened.
- Add the shrimp and continue frying for about 3-4 minutes - until they turn pink.
- Stir in the sauce, bring to a simmer and pour in the boiling water.
- Sharpen with the lime juice and add the scallions and chopped cilantro.
- Serve straight away with boiled rice.