Recipe by Lisa from OK
This is a chili I came up with when my husband and I were in the mood for something spicy and easy to make. It is great because it is quick, but still tastes delicious like a slow cooked chili. If you don't like things quite so spicy, I would definitely reduce the number of serrano and jalapeños you use and maybe increase the chili powder a little instead so you still get a good chili taste. Our version is pretty spicy, so don't be afraid to take it down a notch (or up if you like a lot of spice). I like chili that is chopped pretty small, but if you like chunkier this would be great like that as well. Also it would be great to experiment with other ground meats such as sausage or maybe ground turkey.
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped small
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped small
- 6 serrano peppers, chopped into thin slices
- 6 jalapenos, chopped small
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canscanned diced green chilies, undrained
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (I like the petite dice tomatoes)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, undrained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put about a third of your chopped onion and a third of your chopped garlic in a large skillet. Add 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil and sauté for one minute over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of chili powder, and 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until meat is browned all over. Set aside.
- Put the rest of the chopped onion and chopped garlic, and 1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes in a large soup kettle. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté over medium-high heat for about one minute.
- Add the chopped bell peppers, chopped serranos, chopped jalapeños, and 2 tbsp olive oil (or enough to sauté the vegetables without burning) to the kettle and sauté over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, pinto beans, chopped green chilies and remaining seasonings to the kettle. Heat to boiling. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir the ground beef mixture into the kettle. Heat for about one minute.
- Remove from heat and serve. Cream cheese sour cream, cheese, or crackers are great to add to your bowl.