Recipe by strangelittlebeast
A spicy curry where chiles are used not as a seasoning,but as a main ingredient!
- 8 large green chilies (of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste, soaked in 2 tablespoons warm water (seedless)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon white poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 small red onion, minced
- fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 3 garlic, cloves.peeled and finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from chiles,split lengthwise but leave connected at the stem ends.Remove seeds if desired.
- Place tamarind in water to soak.
- Meanwhile heat a pan to medium and add all of the seeds,toast,stirring constantly for 1 minute.add coconut and continue toasting for about 15 seconds.Remove from heat and allow to cool thoroughly.Grind seeds and coconut to a powder.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.add chiles and cook just until they have dark spots ;remove.Add onion,ginger,and garlic and cook until lightly browned.add the dry spices,the ground seeds,chiles and water.Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes.add tamarind pulp andd salt to taste.Cook one more minute and serve hot.