Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious over ice cream, cakes or dessert waffles. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cherries, drained (reserve juice, you'll need about a cup)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- Bring cherry juice to a boil; combine sugar, cornstarch and water and add to hot juice.
- Stir constantly until sauce boils, cook until thickened and clear.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot.