Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Southern Living's Quick and Easy Cookbook
- 2 (963.88 g) can sour pitted cherries, undrained
- 236.59 ml water
- 177.44 ml sugar, divided
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.26 ml red food coloring (optional)
- 414.03 ml biscuit mix
- 158.51 ml milk
- 236.59 ml whipped cream (optional)
- Combine cherries and water in a 2-quart saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt; stir into cherry mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Add food coloring, if desired.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and biscuit mix; stir in milk. Drop by spoonfuls on hot cherry mixture.
- Cover tightly and cook gently over medium heat about 15 minutes or until dumplings are firm.
- Serve hot dumplings in compote; pour cherry mixture over dumplings, and top with whipped cream, if desired.