Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping, this was one of MDM's standbys, from "Flavored with Tradition: A Collection of Recipes from Charleston, Atlanta, and Richmond." Number of servings is a guess, it depends on how many slices of bread your loaf yields.
Top Review by Noo
A really easy little snack bite.Great that they can be made ahead of time,and then just poppped into the oven.I used garlic and herb flavoured cream cheese and gently melted my cheeses together in the microwave. Thanks KateL.
- 1 loaf day-old white bread, unsliced
- 1⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim crust and cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Melt cheeses and butter in top of double boiler. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and add the egg whites.
- With a fork, dip each bread cube in cheese mixture until well coated. Place on baking sheet, chill overnight or freeze.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes until light brown and puffed.
- Serve hot.