Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Swedish/Norwegian dish from Classic Scandinavian Cooking by Nika Hazelton. Posted for Zaar World Tour II thanks to some help from my friend MP.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 medium onion, minced (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 2 sprigs dill or 2 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups shelled cooked shrimp, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (whipped)
- minced dill or parsley
- Trim cauliflower, wash thoroughly and cook whole till tender. ***Cook's Notes below.
- While cooking cauliflower, make sauce. Combine milk, onion and dill (or parsley) sprigs & bring to a boil. Remove dill or parsley.
- Melt butter, stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not let brown.
- Add hot milk to mixture, stirring all the while. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, till mixture is thickened and smooth. Cook 2 minutes longer and season with salt & pepper.
- Add shrimp and cook over lowest possible heat till shrimp are heated through. Fold whipped cream into sauce.
- Place hot cauliflower on serving dish and pour sauce over it. Sprinkle w/minced dill or parsley.
- **** Cook's notes:.
- Rapid cooking time of cauliflower not only reduces the odor but also preserves crispness, color, and reduces the loss of nutrients that will leach into the cooking water when overcooked.
- To microwave cauliflower, cover a whole head of cauliflower with plastic wrap & microwave on high for 3 minutes, turn head over, and cook for an additional 2 to 4 minutes. Let stand for 3 minutes.
- To steam cauliflower, place it in a steamer basket, and then place in a pot with 2 inches of water. Cover and steam. A whole head of cauliflower (1 ½ pounds) will take 15 to 20 minutes to cook, but begin checking for tenderness after 12 minutes.