Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Got this recipe from my mother. Ground turkey, smoked sausage (sliced)or any of your favorite meats can be used instead of ground beef. Ro-Tel tomatoes normally come in a 10 ounce can, but you can substitute 14 1/2 ounce cans of tomatoes with green chiles. I always substitute 2 15 ounce cans of chili ready tomatoes. Chili beans may be used if you cannot find ranch beans. If you want to stretch it you can use 26 ounce or larger cans of Ranch or Chili beans. If using broth instead of water 1 15 ounce can of broth is slightly more than 2 cups, so I just add the entire can. Depending on the type of meat used you may use beef, chicken or vegetable broth. Prep, cook time and number of servings are approximate.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans ranch style beans
- 2 cups broth or 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- Brown ground beef and onions, drain.
- Add remaining ingredients execpt cabbage.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage & cook until tender.