Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup is really good with Cheese and Herb Corn Muffins
Make and share this Hot Cabbage Slaw Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, grated or minced
- 4 cups white cabbage, grated or finely shredded
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 medium parsnips or 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- vegetable stock (as needed) or water (as needed)
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 -3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups low-fat milk or 1 1⁄2-2 cups soymilk, as needed
- salt and pepper
- low-fat sour cream (optional) or plain yogurt (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onions and saute over medium heat until golden.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, parsnip or turnip, and celery along with just enough stock or water to cover.
- Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, until the vegies are nerly tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the oats, seasoning mix, dill and vinegar, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until the vegies are done.
- Stir in the milk as needed, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer just until the soup is heated through Serve if you like, with a small dollopof sour cream or yogurt.