Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is screaming "TRY ME!!" A Light and fluffy sponge cake soaked in Buttered Rum and frosted with a butterscotch pecan frosting. *Tip* If you do not have the cake flour a good substitute would be 1 cup all purpose flour minus 2 tablespoons mixed with 2 tablespoons cornstarch.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans (measure after you chop)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped butterscotch chips
hot buttered rum
- 1⁄3 cup rum
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat eggs until very thick and light.
- Add sugar and continue to beat until mixture will hold a soft peak.
- Beat in lemon juice.
- Add hot water, 2 tablespoons at a time and beat until thick after each addition.
- Fold in flour in small amounts.
- Pour batter into 2 lightly greased 8" cake pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back from your touch.
- Allow cake to cool.
- ---hotbuttered rum---.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan.
- Add rum and brown sugar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In another sauce pan, dissolve water in sugar over low heat.
- Beat the sugar syrup into the ricotta.
- Add cinnamon and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add pecans and butterscotch chips.
- Spoon half of the buttered rum over the bottom half of the cake.
- Frost the bottom layer.
- Place second layer of cake on top of the frosting.
- Spoon remaining hot buttered rum over second layer.
- Frost with remaining frosting.
I really enjoyed this cake. The ricotta in the frosting gave it a very slightly 'grainy' feel, but it was not disturbing, just different.