Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; usually made during Christmas-New Year holiday.
Top Review by Sunflower
We absolutely loved these muffins. Moist and delicious and a wonderful butter-rum flavor. We had these for breakfast and didn't eat them all. They tasted even better the next day--very moist. We think they are worth 5-stars. Thanks.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons rum, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients.
- Combine milk and 3 tablespoons rum.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Spoon into greased muffin pans, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans immediately; place on wire racks.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons rum and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Brush over warm muffins.