Prep 3 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is one great, classic hot drink that is an absolute delight around a fall campfire with friends. You can also caramelize your Hot Buttered Rum by building the ingredients as stated in the recipe below and plunge a red-hot poker* into the glass for about a minute. You can also make a large batch of the base mix for this drink. By mixing the butter, sugar and spices ahead of time you can make a Hot Buttered Rum quickly or use it to serve a round of hot drinks fast for a party.* I do have a Hot Buttered Rum Mix: See Below
- 1 small slice soft butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Optional spices to taste
- ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, allspice
- vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark rum (Mount Gay Extra Old Rum)
- hot water
- 1 small slice soft butter.
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
- Optional spices to taste: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, allspice.
- Vanilla extract.
- 2 ounces dark rum (Mount Gay Extra Old Rum).
- Hot water.
- 1. Place the butter, sugar and spices at the bottom of an Irish coffee glass or mug.
- 2. Mix well or muddle.
- 3. Pour in the rum and hot water.
- 4. Stir.
- Note: Personally, I use hot cider instead of hot water. I also use a mixture of sugar and molasses instead of brown sugar (originally because I was out of brown sugar for one batch, but since then because I liked the flavor more).
- My Note: on Hot Buttered Rum Mix:.
- Makes 25 servings Prep Time:5 minutes Total Time:5 minutes.
- Hot Buttered Rum is a favorite winter drink because it is both sweet and warm, which is just the kind of comfort we gravitate toward on the coldest days of the year. It is an easy drink to make (main recipe here), though does take a little bit of time. This is where this Hot Buttered Rum Mix comes in handy. If you find yourself making the hot cocktail often - whether for yourself or at your bar - you may want to keep this mix in the refrigerator, then when you're ready for the drink, just add rum and hot water. It's that simple.
- 3 cups brown sugar.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter.
- 3 Tbsp honey.
- 1 Tbsp rum extract.
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract.
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg.
- 1 tsp ground allspice.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- To Make Hot Buttered Rum Mix:.
- Mix the ingredients using a beater until everything is blended together.
- Store in a well sealed jar in the refrigerator until needed.
- To Make a Hot Buttered Rum drink:.
- Pour 1 1/2 or 2 ounces of light or dark rum into an Irish coffee glass or mug.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the hot buttered rum mix.
- Fill with hot water (not boiling).
- Stir well.
This went down very well indeed on Christmas Eve with friends. It was even snowing and with the living room drapes open we had a great view of the neighbors Christmas lights and decorations. It was a welcome part of a great evening.