Recipe by juniperwoman
This sounds rich and lovely. I can't wait to try it. It is reworded from the Better Homes and Gardens website.
Top Review by UmmBinat
A very delicious cider although I did use extra cinnamon sticks and a bit extra ground cloves, both the ground and extra cloves being by mistake! I had to use ground allspice too as it was all I had. It made for a good cup of warmth before bed. It was spicy because of my additional cloves and that the spices were mostly ground. Interesting the flavour of the lemon came near mid drinking. I loved the butter on top, the reason why I chose this recipe to begin with. I would make this again but would like to try it as written with some extra cinnamon because we love it. Made for Comfort Cafe - Snow Queens Round 01/10.
- 8 cups apple cider or 8 cups apple juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 lemon peel, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- cinnamon stick (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cider and brown sugar in a large saucepan. Now make a spice bag: tie cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and lemon peel in a 6-inch square of 100 percent cotton cheesecloth. Add spice bag to cider mixture.
- Bring to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard spice bag.
- Top each serving with 1/2 teaspoon butter and serve with a cinnamon stick stirrer, if desired.
- Make-Ahead Tip: After discarding spice bag, chill cider and reheat to serve. Or, keep prepared cider warm in a crockery cooker on low-heat setting.