Hot buttered bourbon is usually made with plain water, and sweetened, but this recipe uses cider instead. From the book, "Drinks to Warm Body & Soul", this drink can also be made with rum or brandy instead of bourbon. Time does not include time used to make Nutmeg Butter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider or 1 1⁄2 cups water, plus
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 cup Bourbon
NUTMEG BUTTER (use 2 slices)
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
- In a small saucepan, combine the cider, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and ginger and place over low heat.
- Cook at a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bourbon and bring back to a simmer; immediately remove from the heat.
- Pour into 2 warmed mugs and top each with a slice of Nutmeg Butter.
- NUTMEG BUTTER (makes about 16 servings):.
- Put all ingredients in a small bowl and stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Place the butter mixture on a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap and shape into a log about the size of the original stick of butter.
- Chill in the freezer for about 30 minutes, until firm but not frozen hard.
- Slice into 1/4-inch rounds (about 1/2 teaspoon) to use in buttered drinks.
- The butter will keep, frozen and tightly wrapped for at least a month; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before slicing it. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
This was great! Zippy and delicious. I only made the amount of butter I needed for the drinks. Quite good. Thanks for sharing!
This sure warmed my Body and Soul! I didn`t make the butter just didn`t want it all. So I just sliced a thin piece and dip it into fresh grated nutmeg. Yummo!