Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A cold weather hot toddy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider (or 1 1/2 cup water with 2 tablespoons brown sugar)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Make the nutmeg butter: add all the butter ingredients into a small bowl; stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Place butter mixture on a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap; roll it into a log shape about the size of the original stick of butter, twisting the paper together at the ends to smooth out the log.
- Chill in the freezer for about 30 minutes, until firm but not frozen hard (slice into ¼-inch rounds to use in buttered drinks).
- Make the hot drink: in a small saucepan, combine the cider, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and ginger; put over low heat.
- Cook at a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bourbon and bring back to a simmer, immediately remove from heat.
- Pour into 2 warmed mugs; top each with a slice of nutmeg butter.