Shawn C's Note:
a staple of most roadside mom and pop diners
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (up to 3 1/2 c)
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, room temperature and beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared whipped cream (optional)
- 8 slices toast, white bread edges trimmed
- 1 lb cooked turkey, thinly sliced
- grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp
- 1in large sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until smooth and free from lumps.
- 2gradually stir in milk until sauce comes to a gently boil, stirring constantly, remove from heat.
- 3add parmesan cheese and stir until smooth and blended.
- 4in a small bowl, beat egg.
- 5gradually add 1 cup of hot sauce, 1/3 cup at a time to the egg, stirring constantly.
- 6gradually add egg mixture to remaining sauce.
- 7stirring constantly until well blended add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8fold in whipped cream.
- 9for each sandwich place 2 slices of bread on a metal or flameproof dish. cover with a liberal amount of turkey.
- 10Spoon a generous amount of sauce over turkey and sprinkle with cheese. place plate under broiler until sauce is speckled brown and bubbly.
- 11remove from oven and top with 2 pieces of bacon and chopped pimientos if desired.
- 12serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Brown Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1034.3
- Calories from Fat 608
- Total Fat 67.6 g
- Saturated Fat 30.9 g
- Cholesterol 295.5 mg
- Sodium 1236.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 48.0 g