Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
a staple of most roadside mom and pop diners
- 4 ounces butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (up to 3 1/2 c)
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, room temperature and beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup prepared whipped cream (optional)
- 8 slices toast, white bread edges trimmed
- 1 lb cooked turkey, thinly sliced
- grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp
- in large sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until smooth and free from lumps.
- gradually stir in milk until sauce comes to a gently boil, stirring constantly, remove from heat.
- add parmesan cheese and stir until smooth and blended.
- in a small bowl, beat egg.
- gradually add 1 cup of hot sauce, 1/3 cup at a time to the egg, stirring constantly.
- gradually add egg mixture to remaining sauce.
- stirring constantly until well blended add salt and pepper to taste.
- fold in whipped cream.
- for each sandwich place 2 slices of bread on a metal or flameproof dish. cover with a liberal amount of turkey.
- Spoon a generous amount of sauce over turkey and sprinkle with cheese. place plate under broiler until sauce is speckled brown and bubbly.
- remove from oven and top with 2 pieces of bacon and chopped pimientos if desired.
- serve immediately.