Recipe by Dana_N_Ky
This is a recipe created by a Chef at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY.; thus the name "Hot Brown". This dish is really delicious :-)
Top Review by Bidder M
I used to work at a Holiday Inn in New Albany Indiana. This dish was on our lunch menu. It was a favorite for the derby crowds and others in the Louisville area. I made it exactly to your specs and it was delicious. What a wonderful walk down memory lane. Excellent!
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup colby cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce whipped cream (optional)
- 12 ounces turkey, sliced
- 12 ounces baked ham, sliced
- 12 slices bacon, fried crisp
- 8 slices tomatoes (optional)
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 stick butter (4 oz.) over low heat in a heavy non-stick saucepan.
- Add flour and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add milk (&cream); simmer until thickened.
- Add parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Remove 1/4 cup sauce to another bowl.
- Add egg& beat until smooth.
- Add egg mixture back into saucepan& mix well.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients: (cheese, pepper& Worcestershire), stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- -------Foreach Hot Brown--------------.
- Cut toast slice in half and place on a heat resistant dish.
- Layer with turkey& ham.
- Cover with cheese sauce.
- Top with 3 slices (crisp) bacon& 2 slices tomato (if desired).
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place entire dish in oven at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes until golden& bubbly.