Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious and traditional german soup, where beer is actually the main flavoring rather than an addition. Simple and quick to make
- 3 (12 ounce) bottles light beer
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Pour beer and sugar into a heavy 4 to 5 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stir constantly until sugar is dissolved, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and beat in the sour cream a little at a time. Stir about 1/4 cup of the hot beer into the mix then whisk it into the beer. Add cinnamon, salt and grindings of pepper.
- Return to heat and cook stirring constantly until it thickens slightly. Do NOT let it boil or it could curdle.
well we gave it a whirl - but no-one finished their bowl... ewww yuck. the rest ended up down the sink.
Beer drinkers unite -- finally a soup for you! If you like beer, you will probably like or love this soup. This has strong beer and cinnamon flavors -- very nice! Thanks, MarraMamba! Made for ZWT4.
UM-O. My husband was a great fan of this soup. Made for Tastebud Tickling Travellers for ZWT4. Thanks for posting