Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
You just warm the bananas on the grill (don’t char them) to soften the texture and mellow the flavor, making them more receptive than ever to a cool ice cream topping.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium bananas
- 3 (1 1/2 ounce) Heath candy bars or 4 -5 ounces chocolate-covered toffee bits, chopped into chunks
- 4 scoops ice cream (use two kinds, such as vanilla, butter pecan, praline, chocolate or banana)
- whipped cream
- chopped toasted almond, for garnish
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla; cool slightly (about 10 minutes). Serve warm.
- Fire up the grill, bringing the temperature to medium (4 to 5 seconds with the hand test). Oil the cooking grate.
- Just before grilling, slice the bananas, still in their skins, lengthwise.
- Transfer the bananas, cut sides down, to the grate. Grill, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to char. Turn the bananas skin sides down, brush their cut surfaces with a few teaspoons of the half-and-half mixture, and grill them for another 2 to 3 minutes, until soft and lightly colored.
- Remove the bananas from their skins. If you own long banana split dishes, leave the banana halves whole and place two of them in each dish. If not, cut the bananas into bite-size chunks and divide them among individual serving dishes.
- Place a scoop of each flavor ice cream over bananas, drizzle with praline sauce then top with Heath Bar chunks, whipped cream and chopped toasted almonds.