You just warm the bananas on the grill (don’t char them) to soften the texture and mellow the flavor, making them more receptive than ever to a cool ice cream topping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium bananas
- 3 (1 1/2 ounce) Heath candy bars or 4 -5 ounces chocolate-covered toffee bits, chopped into chunks
- 4 scoops ice cream (use two kinds, such as vanilla, butter pecan, praline, chocolate or banana)
- whipped cream
- chopped toasted almond, for garnish
- 1Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla; cool slightly (about 10 minutes). Serve warm.
- 2Fire up the grill, bringing the temperature to medium (4 to 5 seconds with the hand test). Oil the cooking grate.
- 3Just before grilling, slice the bananas, still in their skins, lengthwise.
- 4Transfer the bananas, cut sides down, to the grate. Grill, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to char. Turn the bananas skin sides down, brush their cut surfaces with a few teaspoons of the half-and-half mixture, and grill them for another 2 to 3 minutes, until soft and lightly colored.
- 5Remove the bananas from their skins. If you own long banana split dishes, leave the banana halves whole and place two of them in each dish. If not, cut the bananas into bite-size chunks and divide them among individual serving dishes.
- 6Place a scoop of each flavor ice cream over bananas, drizzle with praline sauce then top with Heath Bar chunks, whipped cream and chopped toasted almonds.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Banana Split (Grilling Recipe)
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 760.9
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 87.3 mg
- Sodium 182.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 100.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g