Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This hot bacon dressing is based on memories of the wilted leaf lettuce salads my mother used to make. I also love this dressing on cobb salads, chef's salads and spinach salads.
- Fry bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon to paper towel covered dish to drain and cool.
- Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons of the bacon fat.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt.
- Mix well with 1/2 cup water, let stand in mixing container.
- Heat vinegar and remainder of water to hot (do not boil).
- Add the hot liquid to dry ingredients, stirring well.
- Add the mixture to the bacon fat still in skillet, and cook to desired consistency. (If gravy like texture is desired, you can bring to a brief boil. Overcooking with cause it to congeal into a thick ball).
- If desired, you can crumble the bacon you fried and add to salad.
- Pour over your salad of choice and devour immediately.