Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from Lazarus Department Stores' restaurant in Columbus, Ohio. It is very good.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bacon fat
- Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Mix well with part of water (about 1/2 cup).
- Heat vinegar and remaining water.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring well.
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain, reserving 1 1/2 tsp.
- of bacon fat.
- Add bacon and bacon fat to dressing mixture and cook to desired consistency.
This is exactly what I was looking for! I simply drizzled it over spinach, hard boiled eggs and onions in my salad. It was awesome! I used apple cider vinegar because that's all I had in the house, and it tasted just fine.
Yum! I didn't follow the directions exactly. I fried the bacon first and then mixed everything in the left over grease. I served over spinach with a crumbled hard boiled egg.
This was delicious on last night's spinach salad with thinly sliced green onions and fresh sliced mushrooms. Rather than adding the bacon to the dressing, I just crumbled it over our salads and spooned the hot dressing over. I quartered the amounts since there were just the two of us, "guesstimating" the amount of flour. I think this would also be delicious as a German-style potato salad dressing! Thanks for posting this- it's a keeper!