Just right for an unassuming side-dish. Keeps 'em coming back for more! Very addictive--be careful!
- Fry bacon until crisp in very large pan; remove from pan, then saute onion in pan fat.
- While bacon and onion is frying, toss cabbage and carrots; set aside.
- Prepare dressing: mix vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard; add to onion in pan, stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add cabbage & carrots back into pan; stir until coated with sauce.
- Return bacon pieces to pan; toss in peanuts, if used.
- NOTE: DOUBLE the sauce ingredients if you like juicier slaws.
- SUGGESTION: Add more bacon and carrots for a Main Dish meal.
Great recipe! I just had to add more bacon and doubled the dressing as I prefer a wetter hot slaw. Thanks for posting!
Do you serve this Hot? if so can it be re-heated?
Well, this slaw went fast. My 13 yr old DS even liked it right down to my 80+ yr old mother. I went with the 8 slices of hickory smoked thick-cut bacon and 1/2 of a large head of cabbage. The dressing coated the slaw nicely and had barely any juice in the bottom of the bowl after mixing. If it sets you'll have to stir it again, but I think it is the perfect amount. I can't wait to make this for our family gatherings during the summer! I adopted this chef for the *Spring PAC 2008* game