Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
This recipe is from an April 1982 issue of Bon Appetit in the R.S.V.P. section. The recipe was requested from The Crystal Lodge in Lake City, Colorado.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium tart apples, cored and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Carmel Rum Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease a 10-inch pie pan and set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar in large bowl.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift flour, spices, soda and salt; blend into butter mixture.
- Add apples,nuts and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into prepared pie pan and bake until lightly browned, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (if desired) and Carmel Rum Sauce.
- Combine sugars and cream in top of double boiler and set over gently simmering water and cook 1 1/2 hours, replenishing water in bottom of double boiler as necessary.
- Add butter and continue cooking 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat well.
- Add rum and blend thoroughly; serve warm.
- (Cake and sauce can be prepared ahead and reheated before serving.).