Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 45 mins
This recipe is from an April 1982 issue of Bon Appetit in the R.S.V.P. section. The recipe was requested from The Crystal Lodge in Lake City, Colorado.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium tart apples, cored and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Carmel Rum Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease a 10-inch pie pan and set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar in large bowl.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift flour, spices, soda and salt; blend into butter mixture.
- Add apples,nuts and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into prepared pie pan and bake until lightly browned, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (if desired) and Carmel Rum Sauce.
- Combine sugars and cream in top of double boiler and set over gently simmering water and cook 1 1/2 hours, replenishing water in bottom of double boiler as necessary.
- Add butter and continue cooking 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat well.
- Add rum and blend thoroughly; serve warm.
- (Cake and sauce can be prepared ahead and reheated before serving.).