1 hr 15 mins
I love anything with apples. If I were on a desert island and I had to choose 1 desert it would be apple pie. This recipe ain't apple pie and I have many favorite apple deserts, but it's a close second to apple pie. The caramel sauce is out of this world good. It's up to your taste if you want to add the pecans or not to the sauce. I like it both ways.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb butter, unsalted, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (about 3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, for serving
Caramel Pecan Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 2" cake pan.
- 2Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, spices, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat in eggs on low speed, one at a time, until well blended. Add flour mixture beating just until incorporated. Mix in apples, nuts and the vanilla.
- 3Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until top is golden and cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. Remove to rack and cool. Turn cake out of pan by inverting onto rack after 10 minutes.
- 4NOTE: If desired, the cake may be stored at room temperature, well wrapped overnight or it may be frozen. Defrost at room temperature for several hours or overnight. Reheat in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until warm.
- 5Caramel Pecan Sauce:.
- 6Melt butter in a medium size saucepan. Add nuts. Cook, stirring constantly, over moderately high heat, until nuts are toasted and butter is lightly browned. Add brown sugar and cream and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and sugar dissolves and turns deep golden brown.
- 7NOTE: the sauce maybe refrigerated for several days. Reheat before serving.
- 8To Serve: place a wedge of warm cake on a dessert plate. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and spoon hot Caramel Pecan Sauce over all.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Apple Cake With Caramel Pecan Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 949.9
- Calories from Fat 543
- Total Fat 60.4 g
- Saturated Fat 31.0 g
- Cholesterol 192.5 mg
- Sodium 524.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 73.6 g
- Protein 8.9 g