Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From B&G canning am. Prep time includes 3 hour sook .
Make and share this Hot and Spicy Zucchini Pickles recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs zucchini, 3 inch spears 3/4 thick (about 16 cups)
- 4 cups ice, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 6 small red serrano peppers or 6 small Thai red chili peppers
- 6 small green serrano chilies or 6 small jalapeno peppers
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- In large bowl layer 1/3 zucchini, 1/3 ice, 1/3 salt. Repeat layering two more times. Weight down with heavy plate. Allow to sit at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Remove any of the remaining ice, and drain zucchini in colander.
- In large pot combine vinegar, water, sugar and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- To each hot sterlized pint jars add one red chilie pepper, one green chilie pepper, one bay leaf, 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed. Pack zucchini into jars leaving 1/2 headspace.
- Pot hot vinegar mixture into jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove any bubbles. Wipe rims and add lids.
- Process in water bath for 10 minute, start timing once water is boiling.