Prep 4 mins
Cook 15 mins
From B&G canning am. Prep time includes 3 hour sook .
- 4 lbs zucchini, 3 inch spears 3/4 thick (about 16 cups)
- 4 cups ice, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 6 small red serrano peppers or 6 small Thai red chili peppers
- 6 small green serrano chilies or 6 small jalapeno peppers
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- In large bowl layer 1/3 zucchini, 1/3 ice, 1/3 salt. Repeat layering two more times. Weight down with heavy plate. Allow to sit at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Remove any of the remaining ice, and drain zucchini in colander.
- In large pot combine vinegar, water, sugar and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- To each hot sterlized pint jars add one red chilie pepper, one green chilie pepper, one bay leaf, 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed. Pack zucchini into jars leaving 1/2 headspace.
- Pot hot vinegar mixture into jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove any bubbles. Wipe rims and add lids.
- Process in water bath for 10 minute, start timing once water is boiling.
This recipe looks delicious but in the directions it says to add sugar but there is no sugar listed. What is amount of sugar