Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From yahoo group files "These perky pickles are crisp and tangy, with a little punch. Add them to a crudités platter to liven up the party, or serve alongside a simple sandwich."
- Trim ends from zucchini and cut into 4 x 1/2 x 1/2" sticks, or the length that will fit in jars allowing for 1" headspace, discarding any pieces that are just the interior seed portion.
- In a large non reactive bowl, layer zucchini, ice cubes and salt, using about 1/3 of each layer. Add cold water to cover by about 1". Place a plate on top to weigh down zucchini. Cover and let stand at a cool room temperature for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare jars, lids and bands.
- In a colander, working in batches, drain zucchini well and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often until sugar is dissolved. Boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and keep liquid hot.
- Working with one jar at a time, pack zucchini and 1/6 of the hot pepper strips into each prepared jar, leaving 1" headspace.
- Add 1 bay leaf and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. Pour in hot pickling liquid, leaving a 1/2" headspace. Check for air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed by adding more pickling liquid.
- Process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.